Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Pretty Petals of Maria Burd

By Heather Hanson

Nothing embodies the season of spring so well as a fresh bloom folding into full glory atop a waxy, green stem. It is no wonder that Maria Burd, a local artist residing in Moscow Pennsylvania, has found her muse in pretty petals. “I’ve always found inspiration in the beauty of nature, especially the vibrant colors of the many varieties of flowers” Burd said of her work. To date, she has created over 100 original 8”x 8” floral paintings, each inspired by nature and featuring a singular bloom of a unique species.

Encouraged to cultivate her creativity from a young age, Burd finds interest in many aspects of art, but her passion is painting. She received a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Art from Marywood University dedicated to the medium. “I really just enjoy the painting process itself,” she said, “I love holding the brush in my hand, mixing the paint and applying it to the wood surface in delicate strokes. For me, it’s very calming and therapeutic and I tend to get lost in the moment.” Soon Burd plans to take her passion for flowers and painting a step further, “In the near future, I will be starting another series of flower paintings on a much grander scale. I plan to create more detailed, close-up versions of some of my favorite flowers on 36” square canvases,” she told Local Flair.

When asked to describe her painting process Burd explained, “ I travel all over to botanical gardens, public parks and local greenhouses, gathering reference photos and taking notes about each flower. I simply choose whichever one inspires me to paint it .” Burd works in thin layers of oil paint on cabinet grade plywood, which adds interest and texture beyond that of a canvas. Her uncomplicated compositions display both a great attention to detail and keen eye for color balance. Burd’s flowers transcend from feeling like generic representations of their species. Rather, each painting allows its observer to fully appreciate the splendor that nature has provided in this individual creation.

To learn more about the works of Maria Burd and catch a glimpse of her garden of 8” x 8” paintings visit www.mariaburd.com.

No comments: